For each source each annotation should include the following:
- What is the main purpose and scope of the cited work
- A brief description of how the text is organized. What are the main divisions or sections? What is emphasized? Why?
- Theoretical basis and relevance of the author's argument
- Author's credentials
- Intended audience
- Value and significance of the work to the subject or topic
- Shortcomings or bias in the work
- Your own brief impression of the work
Although these are many of the same features included in a literature review, the emphasis should be on brevity.